Monday, April 19, 2010

Just a few more Sakura

So I'm writing about the Sakura/ Cherry Blossoms again but only because of how amazingly incredibly beautiful they are. My parents and their friends visited last week and the week before and lucky for them the arrived at the perfect time of year when the sakura blossoms began to fall. One of the most beautiful spots in all of Kyoto during the sakura season is the Philosopher's Path, which is lined on both sides with tons of cherry blossom trees overlooking a small canal. When the cherry blossoms fall, their petals blanket the surface of the water and make the canal flow pink. Here's a picture of me when I'm all dressed up to go to a job interview on the day I went to the Philosopher's walk.

Along the Philosopher's Path where Japan's greatest modern philosopher, Kitaro Nishida once strolled

Speaking of job interviews, one of the offers I received was for a firm in Kyoto called FOBA. It's somewhat unknown and off the architectural mainstream, but they do some interesting work. I would be all for working there except for the pay and the hours. The pay is nonexistent and the working hours are 66 per week from monday through saturday. It's pretty insane, but that seems to be the norm for architecture firms in Japan. Unpaid internships (i.e. slave labor, indentured servitude, whatever you want to call it) for really long hours have become the custom here because there is such a long line of foreign students just itching to work in their office at whatever cost. Even a smaller more obscure firm like FOBA said that they get several applications from foreigners per week, even per day asking to work there for free. Apparently this has led to an environment where foreign workers and interns aren't appreciated at all as they are very very very readily and easily replaced. So, I'm trying do decide if such an experience is worth it and I think I will probably go through with it and take the hit to my savings account as working in a Japanese architecture firm was one of the goals I had when deciding to come here on the Light Fellowship.

That little diversion aside, here's a image of one of my favorite snacks and my favorite type of mochi, Sakura Mochi. Readily available during the sakura season, sakura mochi is roughly pounded rice still coarse unlike most mochis with red bean paste in the middle and wrapped in a cherry tree leaf. The leaf is one of my favorite parts as it imbues the mochi with a slightly salty yet sweet flavor that is characteristic of the cherry tree leaves and blossoms. I often stop at every mochi store I see and sample their sakura mochi searching for the best one. This particular one was from a shop near the intersection of Shirakawa-dori and Imadegawa-dori and it was very very good.

Delicious sakura mochi near ginkakuji

Finally, here is a picture of the sakura blossoms hanging down into Ryoan-ji, the most famous zen rock garden. I had visited this temple and garden before to contemplate its serenity in the summer, but coming at spring with the cherry tree drooping over the wall was a completely different experience. Delicate flower petals fluttered gently on the wind and settled lightly to rest on the mossy rocks and dissolved into the chalky white gravel. I would highly recommend coming to Kyoto during the cherry blossom season to see this and all of the many many other beautiful sakura sights that I was unable to include in my posts.

Weeping sakura hanging into the garden of Ryoan-ji

1 comment:

  1. So, so beautiful. Love it.

    "So, I'm trying do decide if such an experience is worth it and I think I will probably go through with it and take the hit to my savings account as working in a Japanese architecture firm was one of the goals I had when deciding to come here on the Light Fellowship."

    That's really exciting! You must, must keep us posted on this...

    ReplyDelete