Monday, April 5, 2010

Sakura Sakura Cherry Blossoms Everywhere!!

The end of March and the beginning of April heralds the Sakura (Cherry Blossom) season in Japan. Here are a few excerpts of my recent travels around Japan from Shizoka Prefecture to Hiroshima Prefecture.


This is the Cherry Blossom Road in IzuKyuuKouGen around 3/28. I traveled here with Jerry a few weekends ago on our Ryokan/Onsen trip. This random town in the middle of the Izu Peninsula was full of Cherry Blossoms that were not quite mankai (Fully Blossomed). I took a bus to the beginning of the cherry blossom road and then walked the full 3 km of cherry blossomy goodness back to the train station where we continued on to Ito.


Last weekend was the annual KCJS visit to Hiroshima on Friday and Saturday. On Saturday morning we were set free from the bonds of the program schedule and my friend and I took a ferry to Ikuchijima. There was an odd Disney-land style temple called Kosan-ji where there was an accumulation of different significant monuments from all around Japan. Pictured is a replica of the Tosho-gu from Nikko with some beautiful cherry trees in front.


Here's a picture I took of the cherry trees today when I was biking around to Kyoto.


This is a picture of one of Kyoto's oldest cherry trees. It's in Maruyama Park, one of the biggest parks in Kyoto which was chock full of Japanese people doing Hanami, watching flowers and drinking under the blossoms.


Here's the central garden at KooDaiJi with their weeping cherry tree. The checkered garden pattern was also set up for the annual late-night light up with some cheesy looking LEDs that changed colors. There were also glow-in-the-dark chunks of something scattered in the Zen Garden that only added to the tackiness.

Anyways the semester's wrapping up and I have a lot of work to do so I best get crackin. My parents are also coming on Wednesday so I have to prepare for their visit and get ahead in my work. Also happy belated Easter to everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Gaaah...still sad I didn't get to come, but at least I can see sakura vicariously through your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Garrett,

    Kelly M. pointed me to your blog! Lovely photos. So glad you were able to be in Japan this year. Send me your email. We'd love to stay in touch with our Fields program graduates!

    Vincent C.

    ReplyDelete