Saturday, November 21, 2009

One Bite at a Time: Tea



I went for a walk down Teramachi Street from Doshisha University down to Shi-jo on Friday afternoon and ran into this classy tea shop. They served many different types of tea and let you pour it yourself. I ordered the seasonal special of the day, a kind of genmaicha or rice tea. It came with a thermos full of hot water and the woman there explained that I was to pour in the hot water and wait at least 20 seconds after the water first touches the tea before I drank it. Each set came with a little pot of tea, a clock (I suspect from Muji), a teacup, thermos, and seasonal sweet. The sweet I ate had some kind of bean paste at the bottom and is supposed to evoke a mountainside covered with the changing leaves of autumn. The tea was good and it was relaxing to have a nice cup of warmth after a long walk outside.

If you haven't noticed from some of my last posts, the seasonal changes are a huge deal here in Japan. Here are a few more pictures from Friday when I walked through the Kyoto Gyoen (Imperial Palace Park), which is right across the street from Doshisha University. This is one of the gates into the Imperial Compound framed by some changing Momiji (maple leaves).

No comments:

Post a Comment